January 16, 2012

When I was a Kid #2: Bedtime Stories


I think, in  the game of life, Childhood is a bonus stage from God.

At kindergarten, I rarely watched our old colourless television.
I often played arround at my aunt's house, watched everything she watched like some dangdut tv program and adult sinetron though I didn't get it.
Japanese cartoon hadn't enter my favorite list yet. So, my brain was still original, with no foreign cartoon intrusion.

At that time, every night my father told me bedtime stories, kind of old local fairytales. So, we sleep together in one long room (now the room's almost collapse caused by earthquake).
There're two big bed for 5 of us. Sleep time was the time we had waited all day long, as if we wait to watch favorite tv drama.
Kancil
My father was really good in telling stories. It's flowing. No tv, but it felt like I watched a big cinema screen on my mind, every sceen was up to me, I mean about the setting, the faces.
The title were: Kidang Talung, Bawang Merah Bawang Putih, Timun Mas (Golden Cucumber?), tens stories of Kancil Nyolong Timun (Mouse deer the Cucumber thief), Kancil Ngapusi Buaya, 
Popok Beruk Keli, Belang Telon, Malin Kundang, Roro Jonggrang, wayang, and a lot more. Yes, I know all that stories before I fell asleep, created amusing dreams.

Timun Emas
My favorite story besides fairytales were stories about the world outside, for example about pasar malam, country abroad, or story when my father wandering for job.
Me and my young brother would cry like a baby if my father wouldn't tell stories. Besides stories, my father had plenty of riddle and magic trick collection, and also story telling with finger siluet on the wall when the electricity off.
We always failed to answer the riddle or magic trick. What a kind father he is, He bought bunch of little toys for us when he get back from work by his bycycle.

On the other hand, my mother only knows one story titled The origin of "Tinggi" (tinggi is kind of bed louse). We weren't bored even she had repeated it for many night.

Yeah, all of those thing triggered me to had a better childhood imagination. Deepest thank's to my parent. :)

.........After that period, tv played great role on my childhood world with american and japanese cartoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment